Saturday, March 21, 2009

Doctoring recipes

It drives my husband crazy that I'm constantly fussing with recipes to make them more "healthy", that is, if baked goods can be considered healthy.

Sometimes I fail miserably and what was suppose to be a healthy blueberry muffin ends up tasting like cardboard and doesn't quite satisfy the sweet tooth. But hey, at least I'm trying and with some practice I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Baking is tricky because it's more of a science than cooking, so you can't just change the measurements and expect it to turn out well. So unless you're scientifically inclined, trial and error (and taking lots of notes) is the only way to go.

Last week I made a second attempt at "improving" a lemon blueberry yogurt pound cake based on a recipe from Food Network's Ina Garten. I substituted the white flour for whole wheat flour, decreased the sugar and added stevia, increased the yogurt a little and added (frozen) wild blueberries.

It was a total hit! Really moist, good flavor with a nice pucker of lemon and just enough sweetness to satisfy the sweet tooth. This doctored recipe is a keeper!

If you'd like details on the "improved" recipe, write a comment and I'll reply. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment