Monday, March 9, 2009

Bugs


Bugs
Originally uploaded by love_yellow
Yuck! While hiking on a trail I saw these bugs and was disgusted but also marveled at how these orange colored creatures all ended up on this fence in this pattern. I was nervous that one was going to jump onto me and bite me while I was taking the photo.

I'm a bit torn about bugs... on the one hand some are creepy and annoying, but on the other hand there are beneficial bugs that are necessary. In my vegetable garden I know that ladybugs and praying mantis eat the bad bugs that can kill my plants. And I know that my digestive tract is suppose to be filled with good bugs (bacteria) to prevent the bad bacteria from taking over.

The good bacteria, also known as probiotics, produce vitamins to give you nutrients and enzymes to help you detoxify. I try my best to get a good dose of probiotics by eating fermented foods, raw foods and sometimes taking probiotic supplements. I've even cultured vegetables and made yogurt and they came out great. It wasn't actually that much work but I get lazy and disorganized so I don't do it on a regular basis, though I should.

And as for the bugs out in nature... I've come to terms with the fact that they're there for a reason. And even though I may not like the way some of them look, I try to find something about them to appreciate, though some are easier to appreciate than others. :-)

About the photo
Taken at the Palomarin trail in Bolinas, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment