Saturday, October 31, 2009

What's your favorite Halloween candy?


Getting ready for Halloween
Originally uploaded by love_yellow

I'll admit that I have become a chocolate snob. It's the only candy I eat so if I'm going to treat myself to something sweet, it's gotta be the good stuff... chocolate by the higher end makers and usually dark (60-75%). Neither I nor my husband enjoy the non-chocolate candy (the pure sugar stuff), so that doesn't make it into our house, with the exception of Finnish salmiakki that's gifted to us by his family every so often (but only little of it gets eaten).

BUT every year at Halloween I indulge in those "lower end" chocolate candies because of the fond memories I have of trick-or-treating as a kid. My favorites haven't changed over the years. I think my favorites will always be:

- Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- Snickers
- Mounds
- M&M's (preferably peanut, but plain is fine too)
- KitKat

Chocolate is a requirement. I also loved Necco's as a kid and I see they've remade them recently with all natural ingredients. But as an adult I just don't enjoy the pure sugar candies - the sugar has to be accompanied by chocolate and fat for me to enjoy them. But I would probably taste the new Necco's if I come across them.

Every year I have the same dilemma... should I buy candy that I like or candy that I won't eat?

If I have leftover candy that I like then I'm happy that I can enjoy the leftovers. But I obviously don't need it and shouldn't be eating it, especially with the upcoming holiday eating season coming up! Which is precisely the reason why I should really purchase candy that I won't eat.

Oh what a dilemma. Thankfully I only have to face this decision once a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment