Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving: Brussels Sprouts


Brussels sprouts
Originally uploaded by love_yellow

Believe it or not, the most favored dish by most was the Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and bacon. I don't have a recipe but it's really easy. Here's how I prepared them.

PREPARING
After removing the Brussels sprouts from the stalk and washing them, cut them in quarters. Set aside.

Cut the cooked chestnuts in quarters. I cheated and bought the pre-cooked ones from Trader Joe's. Set aside.

Cook some bacon until it's about 90% done and then slice them up into small pieces. Set aside.

COOKING
Heat up some olive oil in a large pan and cook the bacon until it's 100% done. This will allow some of the bacon fat to mix in with the olive oil.

Add the Brussels sprouts and cook on medium-high heat for about 12-15 minutes. I added a little water to help it cook a little faster. Add the chestnuts when it's about half way or 3/4 of the way cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remember that the bacon is salty so be careful not to add too much more salt. Once the water evaporates the sprouts can be cooked until you see the nice brown caramelization.

I had intended to add shallots but forgot to buy them, next time I will.


I love the way that Brussels sprouts looks on the stalk. They seem to taste better/fresher when you can buy them this way. I was surprised to see them this way at my local Trader Joe's.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment