Friday, May 1, 2009

Hopeful for limes this summer


Lime blossoms
Originally uploaded by love_yellow

I planted this lime bush 5 or 6 years ago, but have never seen any fruit. Back then as my husband was digging the hole in the ground, I fantasized about endless supply of limes for margaritas to serve to our friends during our summer BBQs.

I'm crossing my fingers that these little babies will grow into some juicy fruit so I can punch up my food and drinks and drinking water with that exciting flavor.

Fruit salad recipe...
Have you ever tried mixing the juice of 2 limes with a little honey and pouring it over a fruit salad of
- oranges
- grapefruit
- pineapple
- toasted walnuts or pecans
- and a few leaves of fresh mint, finely sliced

I just saw this recipe recently in a magazine and made a batch for my friend and her family. I think it was in Better Home and Gardens, though I couldn't find the exact recipe online.

It was refreshing and tasty! I could feel my body absorbing the vitamin C. Maybe at the end of winter my body just craved it, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much in the middle of the hot summer.
Citrus fruit salad
Citrus, pineapple, coconut and walnut fruit salad.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


UPDATE: October 2009
I ended with my first and only lime which I picked and enjoyed on October 15th - it was exciting! I'm hoping for more limes next year.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really yummy! I'm definitely going to have to try out this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete