Sunday, August 23, 2009

TJ's organic tomatoes


TJ's organic tomatoes
Originally uploaded by love_yellow

Product of Mexico... who monitors and certifies organic produce in Mexico? Can we trust that it's really organic? It's not "certified" but I do see the USDA Organic label on it - how do they "certify it"?

I know that the California Certified Organic Farmers (CCOF) organization certifies much of the organic produce I've purchased and apparently they use the USDA seal. But how do they monitor farming practices in Mexico?

To quote one of my friends... "I think it's a free-for-all down there." Unfortunately Mexico does have a bit of bad rep and even I usually stay away from Mexican grown produce. But that's mainly because I'm lucky enough live in a rich agricultural area (San Francisco Bay Area) so I'm in a position to buy locally grown produce - which means I also buy fruits and vegetables that are in season.

And while I do my best to keep my carbon footprint down to a minimum, in this case, the only organic option was these Mexican grown tomatoes. So it was quite a dilemma to choose between local chemically fertilized and not very ripe tomatoes vs. red organic ones grown in Mexico. ¡Ay yay yay!

Well, I'm hoping for the best and hoping that the extra money I'm paying for organic produce really is buying me organically grown vegetables and fruit. I want to be healthy and not put chemical fertilizers in my body, but I also want to support organic and sustainable farming methods that's good for the earth.

My body can only be as healthy if the environment in which it lives is also healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment